February Nature Happenings
Rufous Hummingbird Tree Swallow Northern Flicker Anna's Hummingbird
- Great Backyard Bird Count, mid-month, https://www.birdcount.org/
- Project FeederWatch continues, https://feederwatch.org/
- February is National Bird Feeding Month
- Many raptors over-winter in the area. Look for Golden and Bald Eagles and Rough-legged Hawks
- Northern Flickers will exhibit territory and mating behaviors such as pecking on metal chimney caps.
- First male Rufous Hummingbirds return, females will return 2 to 3 weeks later.
- Anna’s Hummingbirds often breed mid-month.
- Tree and Violet-green Swallows begin to arrive late in the month
- Crocuses and Angel’s Tears in bloom. Spring bulbs (daffodils, hyacinths and tulips) are sprouting and beginning to bloom.
- Great Horned Owls are hooting to establish territories and attract mates.
- Red-naped and Red-breasted Sapsuckers are making sap wells on trees.